At Woodseaves CE Academy we recognise that every child is unique and brings to school a diverse range of knowledge and experiences. We will support, encourage and challenge our pupils to develop their potential and individuality in an environment which is stimulating and exciting and rich in opportunities. The Foundation subjects provide breadth to our curriculum and enable children to develop their knowledge of the world and nurture their own interests and talents.
· We operate a curriculum for the Foundation Subjects that develops knowledge and understanding, alongside skills and processes; recognising all of these elements are important in creating effective learners
· Most of the foundation curriculum is taught through themed, cross-curricular topics that ensure coverage of the National Curriculum objectives and Key Skills. We begin these termly topics exploring what the children already know and what they want to find out. We try to give the children as much first hand experience as possible through trips, visitors or by experiencing activities at school.
· Class teachers create cross-curricular Medium Term Plans in the form of a topic web, this indicates what they will be teaching in any term, and then further, more detailed individual lesson plans.
· Pupils work in a variety of contexts – individually, in groups and as whole classes.
Through the teaching of foundation subjects we can also:
· Improve pupils’ skills in literacy, numeracy and ICT
· Develop pupils’ thinking skills
· Promote pupils’ awareness and understanding of gender, cultural, spiritual and moral issues
· Develop pupils as active citizens
· Develop a creative outlook
· We have a wide range of resources to support the teaching of the foundation subjects across the Key Stages including texts, artefacts, videos, DVDs, website subscriptions, photographs, maps, atlases, ICT hardware.
Please find the curriculum content overview for each Foundation subject below: